The American Council of Engineering Companies of South Carolina and the South Carolina Society of Professional Engineers held the 8th Annual Winter Meeting Feb. 25, 2015 at Seawell’s in Columbia.
Engineers had the opportunity to receive 6 Professional Development Hours in the business or environmental tracks.
The Winter Meeting began with an update from each group’s presidents followed by a DHEC update from Myra Reece, Chief of the Bureau of Air Quality. Attendees then chose whether they wanted to attend the Environmental Track or the Business Track.
The Environmental Track covered the following topics:
• “Don’t Just Stand There, Do Something: Winning Environmental Compliance” – Ethan Ware of McNair Law Firm
• “Environmental Issues: Round Table Discussion” – Myra Reece, DHEC, Ethan Ware, McNair Law Firm, & Sara Bazemore, DHEC
• “What’s Happening on the Coast?” – Sara Bazemore of DHEC
• “Revitalizing SC Brownfields?” – Ken Taylor DHEC
• “Membrane Treatment Technology”- Danny Ware, Davis & Floyd, Inc.
• “Wetlands Permitting” – Laura Boos, Army Corps of Engineers
The Business Track covered these topics:
• “Hot Button Legal Issues for SC Design Professional” – Dan Atkinson, Esq & Derek Newberry, Esq of Wilkes Law Firm
• “Professional Branding” – Carol Hamilton of Black Sheep Consulting
• “Best Practices for Improving the Engineer Subconsultant Relationship” – L. Franklin Elmore of Elmore Goldsmith, PA
Attendees broke for lunch, where they enjoyed a keynote address, “Freeing the Voice of Genius” with Carol Hamilton from Black Sheep Consulting. Though inclement weather was predicted, the winter meeting was successful with 82 engineers in attendance. This continues to be a great joint meeting for ACEC-SC and SCSPE.